MainFullGroupPic.jpg
 

Hail to pitt

Find us on iTunes and Amazon

 

Brothers in song

 

We are the oldest extra-curricular organization at the University of Pittsburgh, as well as the first collegiate musical ensemble.

The Club was founded in 1890 by Mr. John L. High. He was a graduate of Amherst College, MA. The group began as a mere octet, consisting of 2 first tenors, 2 second tenors, 2 baritones, and 2 basses. At the time, the school was known as the Western University of Pennsylvania.

In 1891, the University's name was changed to the present one, and the Glee Club Association was merged with the Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. Records show that in 1901, the Club was listed as "purely a student organization, consisting of members of the Glee Club and Mandolin Clubs-It's objective was to stimulate the musical interest among the undergraduates, to promote sociability, to develop the college spirit, and to promote the fair name of 'Old Uni.'" In 1922, the organization was still operating under the combined titles of musical clubs, but in 1923, the group's name was changed to the Glee Club and Ensemble.

In 1926, after performing for a short time with the Dental Chorus (comprised of students from Pitt's Dental School), the Glee Club evolved into the organization it is today. 

We faced some difficulties around the turn of the millennia, with the group almost being dissolved completely, but in 1999 our current director, Richard Teaster, took over and raised the group's caliber back to the greatness it had once achieved.

 

 
GleeThrowbackV19@4x.png

Upcoming Concerts

 

News & Updates

Twitter

 
BlueBack.png
LogoDesign2_WhiteText.png

2017 Spring Concert

by Pitt Men's Glee Club